Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Just Like Jesus Devotional: A Thirty-Day Walk with the Savior Description:


God wants to give you a heart just like Jesus.
Jesus felt no guilt; God wants you to feel no guilt.
Jesus had no bad habits; God wants to do away with yours.
Jesus had no fears; God wants the same for you.
Jesus had no anxiety about death; you needn't either.
God's desire, his plan, his ultimate goal is to make you into the image of Christ.
This is your invitation to spend thirty intimate days with the Savior learning how to become more like Jesus. Can you think of a better offer?

My Review:

This is a companion devotional to Max Lucado's book Just Like Jesus: A Heart Like His (look for a review of this book coming soon!)  Being the Lent season I wanted a devotional to read that would help me to focus more on Jesus.  This was perfect!  Let me share parts of the introduction with you:

What if, for one day, Jesus were to become you?  With one exception, nothing about your life changes.  What if, for one day, Jesus lives your life with his heart?  What would you be like?  Would people notice a change?  How would you feel?  Would you still do what you had planned to do for the next 24 hours?  Adjust the lens of your imagination until you have a clear picture of Jesus leading your life, then snap the shutter and frame the image.  What you see is what God wants.  Let me invite you to join me for the next thirty days.  We will be examining the heart of Jesus together.  Since God's plan is to help us become more and more like his Son, it makes sense that we should spend some time getting to know Jesus' heart.  Because God wants to give you a heart like Jesus.

Hard to turn away from that, isn't it?  That alone makes this book a two thumbs up in my book.  This is what I want!  If Jesus were to become me for a day I don't want my friends and family to say, "Whoa!  What is up with you today?  You are totally different!"

Each devotion shows us a side of Jesus, and then challenges us to think about it in relation to our own lives.  Lucado poses questions to help us internalize it, provides Scripture to meditate on, provides topics to reflect on, and prayer starters.  In typical Lucado fashion there is some storytelling woven throughout the devotions and simple truths.  Lucado shares the tools that have helped him learn to listen to God, he illustrates the relationship Jesus had with His father and how the Father wants the same kind of relationship with us.

It would be nearly impossible to spend 30 days with this book and not have a desire to become more like Jesus.  And if you invest them time into this devotional, I would venture to say that you will see definite changes once you reach the end.  


No comments: