Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Friday, March 1, 2013

Lord, I Give you This Day review

Lord, I Give You This Day: 366 Appointments with God Description:

Do you long for intimate communion with God?
Are you tired of struggling through life?
Are you eager to experience the abundant life offered by Jesus?

Discover the Joy of Taking God at His Word!
In this power-packed daily devotional, Kay Arthur beckons you to a deeper relationship with God, helping you discover for yourself the life-changing power of His unshakeable love. As each brief reading draws you into the Bible and leads you into purposeful prayer, you’ll be equipped to greet each day with bold faith, confident in God’s faithfulness, strength, and transforming grace.

Discover the joy and peace that come with daily surrender, with joyfully declaring each morning: Lord, I Give You This Day!


My Review:

I have to be honest, before this devotional my only exposure to Kay Arthur was some Facebook posts that a friend often shares on her wall.  She is apparently an international Bible teacher, four-time ECPA Christian Book Award winning author, and co-CEO of Precept Ministries International. Who knew?

I had enjoyed the quotes that my friend posted on Facebook so when I was extended the opportunity to review this devotional I accepted.  As far as devotionals go, this one is pretty typical.  Each day has a short story and a Bible verse.  They are designed to "address the challenges and joys of surrendered living and point you to unchangeable, eternal truths about your God, His Word, and His love for you".  While this does do that, I found it to be ho-hum.  After having read devotionals such as Jesus Calling where it feels very personal and Just Like Jesus Devotional: A Thirty-Day Walk with the Savior where we are encouraged to dig deeper and to apply the teachings to our own lives, this one feels more like a read it to get through it kind of thing. Personal preference I guess.


That isn't to say that the readings are good, or that the writing is poor.  Kay's writing is engaging and many of the stories touched my heart, they just didn't feel personal.  I can see how they could inspire a person to focus on God more than they might without a devotional, but I just didn't go deep with them, and that is what I look for in a devotional.

Find out more about Kay Arthur's ministry here
Read Chapter 1 here

No comments: