Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Friday, November 9, 2012

the High Calling newsletter...

I know, I know...this is where I usually tell you all about the books I am reading.  But this is reading too, just shorter snippets, so hang with me!

I was recently asked to review the newsletter published weekly by the High Calling, an online community that  was founded upon the belief that God cares about our daily work, and not just the work you do at work but the work you do in your family and your culture as well.  Weekly the editors of the community assemble a newsletter "pointing more than 20,000 subscribers to the most encouraging faith and work content on (the) site, in (the) community, and on the web.  In general, (they) promote an audio message from Howard Butt, several articles from The High Calling, a new video from The High Calling, and several community articles from around the community and other important sites." (quoted from the website)

So what is it all about?  Basically the newsletter is a weekly pick me up to point you back in the direction of God.  While I had never heard of Howard Butt before, I found the very short audio messages presented in the newsletters to be encouraging reminders.  Topics such as having the right idea at the wrong time (did you know pla-doh was invented to be wallpaper cleaner??) and that careers are full of mountains and valleys (Tom Landry only led the Cowboys to victory 8 times the first 3 years he coached the team!).  

The newsletter does tend to focus its articles towards those who work outside the home, which made it not as appealing to me(of course it is being marketed to those who work outside the home!).  However, even if you are a SAHM, don't write this off just yet.  The articles that DO relate to family and community are worth the time it takes to skim through those related to work.  And while you are at it, even the work articles have good points that can be incorporated into the life of a stay at homer.

If you are looking for something to give you some highlights and encouragement, but don't have the time or inclination to skim through the website, this newsletter is for your.  If you are looking for an online community that will encourage you to grow closer to God in all areas of your life, you may want to check out the website or the Facebook page.  You can also sign up to receive the newsletter free of charge by visiting www.theHighCalling.org

Please note, I was asked to review this newsletter by Handlebar Publishing.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.  

No comments: