Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Nutcracker review

Nutcracker description:


The tale of Nutcracker, written by E.T.A. Hoffmann in 1816, has fascinated and inspired artists, composers, and audiences for almost two hundred years. It has retained its freshness because it appeals to the sense of wonder we all share.


Maurice Sendak designed brilliant sets and costumes for the Pacific Northwest Ballet's Christmas production of Nutcracker and created even more magnificent pictures especially for this book. He joined with the eminent translator Ralph Manheim to produce this illustrated edition of Hoffmann's wonderful tale, destined to become a classic for all ages.

The world of Nutcracker is a world of pleasures. Maurice Sendak's art illuminates the delights of Hoffmann's story in this rich and tantalizing treasure.


My Review:

We all know the story, a young girl dreams of a magical world with an evil mouse queen, a heroic nutcracker, of a godfather who brought wonderful gifts and had fanciful stories to tell.  The story is not new, having been written in 1816 it has been around long enough that it has become a part of Christmas for many of us.
I will say that this book, at just over 100 pages, includes so much more than the ballet productions that we see around December.  While I love those, I am so glad I was able to actually read the story.  The extra details really give it depth, and the beautiful illustrations make this a book that is not only appealing mentally but visually as well.

This would be a wonderful book to read during the Christmas season with a young child, as it is a bit long for them to read by themselves, or to gift to an older child.  I can honestly say that this is what will be on the nightstand in my child's room this year!  I may have to look up some words first (a hussar's jacket is one worn by a light cavalry unit, a scaramouche is an italian clown character, and a palfrey is a highly valued riding horse) but it is well worth it to share this classic story with the next generation!


I will say that this book, at just over 100 pages, includes so much more than the ballet productions that we see around December.  While I love those, I am so glad I was able to actually read the story.  The extra details really give it depth, and the beautiful illustrations make this a book that is not only appealing mentally but visually as well. 

This would be a wonderful book to read during the Christmas season with a young child, as it is a bit long for them to read by themselves, or to gift to an older child.  I can honestly say that this is what will be on the nightstand in my child's room this year!  I may have to look up some words first (a hussar's jacket is one worn by a light cavalry unit, a scaramouche is an italian clown character, and a palfrey is a highly valued riding horse) but it is well worth it to share this classic story with the next generation!






No comments: