Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Friday, September 2, 2011

Big Book of Bible Stories review

My Big Book of Bible Stories: Bible Stories! Rhyming Fun! Timeless Truth for Everyone!If your kids love Dr. Seuss, they’re sure to enjoy My BIG Book of Bible Stories—17 favorite stories, featuring hilarious rhymes and bright, fun illustrations, for preschoolers through early readers. Brand-new from award-winning author and illustrator Phil A. Smouse, My BIG Book of Bible Stories includes clever retellings of key scriptures, from Creation, Adam and Eve, and Jonah through the New Testament stories of the Good Samaritan, Jesus and Nicodemus, and Peter. My BIG Book of Bible Stories is perfect for reading to younger children, while early readers will enjoy working through the brightly-colored pages all by themselves.

My Review

I really like the rhyme scheme of this book.  I mean really, how can you go wrong with, "In the beginning, way back at its birth, God created the heavens and cooked up the earth.  Without a big-bang or a pop or a fizz-out of nothing at all-He made all that there is!"

With a little one I read a LOT of rhyming books and let me tell you, I get to the point that if I hear another rhyme I want to scream.  This one, however is fun to read.  I can't read it without taking on voices, softening mo voice in some places and bellowing in others.  I really get into it!  Because I really get into it, Princess A really gets into it, too.  That's the point isn't it?  When your little one sees that learning what the Bible says is fun, and good, and interesting then you plant a seed that will grow into true understanding and learning as they get older.  This book really helps with that!

With popular stories from both the old and new Testament such as David and Goliath, Jonah, The Good Samaritan and many others you and your child will enjoy reading, and re-reading for many days to come.  The best part is, even the illustrations are cute. 

You know how sometimes the story can be written well but the pictures just don't hold your little ones attention which leads to squirming and sometimes even early endings?  Not going to happen with this book.  From the cute little frog at the beginning to Adam and Eve hiding in the garden (Adam is upside down peeking out of a tree!) to the vineyard owner who looks vaguely French, your child is sure to be captivated while you read.

Definately a thumbs up from me ..... and Princess A!

No comments: