Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Review: The Hiding Place


The Hiding Place
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I borrowed this book from my local library after seeing many quotes attributed to her posted on Facebook, and then my pastor used a quote in one of his sermons. I became intrigued and sought to read her work. I was pleasantly pleased to discover that her's is a story of surviving the Holocaust.

Her story of faith in horrible circumstances is amazing. A woman who simply did what she thought was right despite the risks to her own life. A woman who ended up in a concentration camp with her sister as a result of her efforts. This was a woman who is honest in her story, and who gives credit to the One who saved her.

I love that she is honest with her feeling throughout the book. She doesn't feign Christian love towards her captors. Instead she admits that while her sister managed to find ways to pray for them, she was often more concerned for her fellow prisoners. (Not that this made her any less a good follower of Christ than her sister. I firmly believe we are all called to care for, pray for and minister to different people.) Corrie ten Boom's story is both sad and inspiring. I can't even begin to imagine the horrors that she and so many others went through and yet they never lost sight of the truth that they were not alone and that God was with them even in such horrific circumstances.

If you can get your hands on a copy of this book, you should give it a read. You won't regret it!



No comments: