Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Review: For Women Only: What You Need to Know about the Inner Lives of Men


For Women Only: What You Need to Know about the Inner Lives of Men
For Women Only, Revised and Updated Edition: What You Need to Know About the Inner Lives of Men > by Shaunti Feldhahn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I came across this book back in October of 2010 when researching for a study I was teaching entitled "What's it like being married to ME?!". I needed some perspective on what a man thinks, what he expects and/or needs in a relationship. The information from the survey was available online and I had been intrigued by some of the responses. However, life went on and other projects beckoned and I never managed to purchase the book. When the publisher offered it to me to review I was ecstatic.

It seems Shaunti Feldhahn also stumbled into the topic of the book when she was researching the inner life of a man in order to make a fictional character's thought life more true. She turned to men she knew with some questions and was surprised by their answers, and the idea for this book was born.

Feldhahn does more than just present survey results, however, and she gives us real men answering real questions with honesty. We truly do get to see a glimpse of the inner lives of men, from how the can at times view themselves as an imposter while portraying themselves to the world as being capable and in control to the fact that they would rather be respected than loved (although many felt being respected was being loved).

While this book has many helpful insights that allow us to better understand the way they think, and how we can encourage them, lift them up, and support them, it does not deal with how he should relate to you, and it especially doesn't bash men. I found this to be wonderful. Too many times I have read the "how to have a new husband" type books and it was all about bringing him around to you. This book is to help you understand him. It will walk you through 8 key revelations from the survey and then help you to see what they might look like in your own man.

This is one of those books that should probably be gifted at the bridal shower!



No comments: