Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Friday, December 13, 2013

The Wall Around Your Heart review

The Wall Around Your Heart Review:
Family members hurt us. Friends betray us. Fellow Christians deceive us. But Jesus provides a path through the pain—the Lord’s Prayer.

In The Wall Around Your Heart, Mary DeMuth shows you that you can reach wholeness and healing in the aftermath of painful relationships by following the road map of the Lord’s Prayer. You’ll walk through story after story of hurt people who are led through biblical truth into amazing, life-sustaining, joyful growth.

Life is hard. People can be mean and petty and awful. But they can also be amazing and beautiful and sacrificial. God is good. He is faithful. You can trust him with your relationships. “He’ll send people to call out what is hard in your heart,” Mary shares. “And that’s a gift to you.”

Allow God to access the wall around your heart. Dare to say, “Tear down the bricks, Lord, whatever it takes.” Pray first. Ask for bravery—for yourself and for others. Risk engaging despite your hurt. Seek the shelter of Jesus.

You don’t have to resign yourself to your wounds! You can rise above the pain. You’ll usher in a new life—an openhearted way of relating to others that expands the kingdom of God. In the process, you’ll draw closer to Jesus, be healed, and become an agent of healing to others.

My Review:
If you have been a Christian for any length of time, then you are familiar with the Lord's prayer.  You know, "Our Father, who art in heaven...."  We have read it, recited it, studied it and memorized it.  I wasn't really sure how DeMuth was going to be able to add much more to it.  Then I read the book.

I was captured by the intro and couldn't stop after that.  "Why do we live in the paradox that if we are to love others, we must accept God's love for us?" struck my heart and I knew that this book was going to speak to me.  I wasn't wrong.

DeMuth combines Bible study with current situations and her experiences to create a book that makes you feel like she is your best friend chatting with you.  No condemnation for the parts you fail at, encouragement to not give up, and a sweet honesty that just makes you feel at home.  I especially liked the final chapter (the appendix) titled "Dealing with Wolves".  You know who they are - the christian who is more pharisee than friend.  Her advice is Biblical, God-honoring, and yet helps us to protect ourselves from further hurt.  

I highly recommend this book!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! Just wanted to say this is a really nice review. I recently joined booksneeze (although I've been a member of other similar programs for quite some time) and just requested my first book to review. I'm a big book nerd, so I embrace any chance at a free book lol

Well, just wanted to say hello. And wanted to invite you to enter my giveaway featured in my blog.
You can check out my blog here:
Http://www.jenkinsthisloveisours.blogspot.com