Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Review: The Maze - The Lost Labyrinth


The Maze - The Lost Labyrinth
The Maze - The Lost Labyrinth by Jason Brannon

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Reading the description, I wasn't sure this was a book I would enjoy. Near death experiences, trapped in a maze created by angels and demons, a race to save the lives of those he loves... sounded a bit much to me. But when the author, Jason Brannon, asked me to consider reading and reviewing the book I decided to give it a shot. I don't regret it!

This is one of those books in which the reader learns just as much about him/herself as they do about the characters. Jamie, the main character, is just your average everyday guy. He has a family he loves, a job he is really good at, and a casual knowledge of God. He lives his life like many of us do, comparing how good we are to others and finding that he isn't so bad.

However, when he comes across his first high school flame he contemplates the possibilities, and when Jamie's thought life starts to become more concrete he nearly dies and is transported to the maze. A labyrinth that forces him to choose the kind of man he wants to be. A labyrinth that no longer allows him to just go with the flow, but causes him to intentionally consider his actions, and their consequences. In order to escape he must die.

As we read we begin to consider our own lives, what our own maze might look like. It isn't always pretty. The writing reminds me of Matt Mikalatos in the way he draws you and and brings you to self-contemplation. The story is excellent, including the spiritual warfare aspect. I liked it so much that I have already passed it on to a friend to read!


No comments: