Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Desperate...not anymore!

Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe Description:


"I just can't be a mother today."
These words have been whispered to God in quiet desperation by mothers who love their children to the depths of their soul, but who are struggling with how hard motherhood is.
Motherhood turns you inside out. Sometimes you feel overwhelmed by how tired you feel; the days go on and on, and you want to be a "good" mom, but you feel like a failure so much of the time. What happened to all your ideals? When did you end up feeling so...lost?
Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson have been to the edge and back. Desperate is the story of one young mother’s trials and one experienced mentor’s priceless exhortations. Desperate is not a book about despair, nor is it a rule-laden mothering manual. It is a bouquet from a friend who has been there, reminding us that we are not alone. Sarah Mae’s unvarnished account of her own struggles mothering three feisty young children is a lesson in learning patience, loving idiosyncrasies, accepting help, and—most of all—leaning on God.
Each chapter includes a brief Bible study with journal exercises to help you find your own quiet center, and get you back into the fray soul-filled and refreshed. Written with candor, empathy, and faith, Desperate is like coffee with a trusted girlfriend; one who knows how hard being a mother can be, and how to navigate the often turbulent road.


My Review:
Where was this book when I had 3 little ones age 5 and under?!?!  This book would have saved me so much heartache and would have dramatically affected my parenting.  In all honesty, this will now be included in my gift at every baby shower in the future!

You may think that despite the fact I have "been there and done that" I still struggle with the need to breathe while parenting my princess (age 4) and 2 teens (13 and 15).  There isn't a magic formula that makes you that parent that seems to always have it all together.  You know the one I mean, the parent who has children that never seem to get dirty, that are polite, that love God, that obey, while mom has every hair in place, dinner on the table and a house that could grace the cover of a magazine.  Sarah Mae reminds us that we aren't alone when we feel we fall short of this ideal.  

Throughout the book she is honest, and my heart would break remembering the times I felt just like she did.  

Dear Sally,
My sweet baby girl is so resistant to my training and I feel like I'm losing my mind...it's wearing me down.
love, SM

I was there, depending on what day it is, I am STILL there at times.  Not only does Sarah Mae share her thoughts and questions honestly, but she also gives us real hope that there is a light and it isn't at the end of a tunnel!  Using Bible verses and her own experiences she shares how she overcomes the situations and emotions associated with being a mom.  And while that is great, this book doesn't stop there.

Sweet One,
No matter how hard your try, or how mature you become, you, your husband, and your children will always fall short of perfection.  If you expect perfection, you are bound to become angry more often, with yourself and with your children.  If you want them to know the real message of Jesus, then you need to live out His life of gracious, forgiving love while becoming more mature in His ideals as you grow.  If you accept the limitations of this fallen world within your own home, you will not be as tempted to depression or anger.  As my son said to me, "Mom, just lighten up and be happy."
Fondly, Sally

Not only does this book gift us with the wisdom of a woman in the trenches, but with the wisdom who has come out the other side of the battle!  Sally softly mentors us, encourages us, shares her stories of success and reminds us that above all, God loves our children more than we do and He enTRUSTed them to us for a reason.

I also love that each chapter includes a "Your Turn" section to help you dig deeper as well as a "Something to Do" section to put it into action.  What I REALLY love is that each chapter includes a link to a short (about 3 minute) video interview with both Sarah Mae and Sally.  And in addition to all of that, at the end of the book Sally takes the time to answer questions that weren't addressed specifically in the book sent to her by moms just like you and me.

I really think EVERY mom of little ones should read this book, and I wish someone had told me these things when I was a younger mom, and I pray that one day I am in a position to offer wisdom to younger women as well (Titus 2).  

No comments: