Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Courageous Teen review


Courageous Teens is a student-focused presentation of Courageous Living by Michael Catt, senior pastor of Sherwood Baptist Church and executive producer of the hit film Courageous.

Catt brings fresh insight to “stories of people in the Bible who displayed great courage when it would have been easier to play it safe . . . (who) challenge me to keep moving forward. They demand that I examine my priorities and deal with anything that brings fear to my heart.”
Teen readers will be inspired to resolve to live for God as they learn more about Abraham, Moses, Nehemiah, Ruth, Daniel, and many more.
Best-selling youth market author Amy Parker arranges the heart-stirring material into four categories: Courageous Faith, Courageous Leadership, Courageous Priorities, and Courageous Influence. Discussion questions are also included at the end of each chapter.


My Review:
First some background. 

Courageous is a movie about fathers, a call to action for them to lead their families.  If you haven't seen the movie or read the book, I highly recommend it.  But the call to be courageous isn't just for fathers, it's for all of us.  That is what this book addresses.

"In this decade of American Idol, we need a generation who will not worship the gods of this world and will serve the one true God."   The young people of today will be the leaders, the fathers and mothers of the next generation.  This is their call to step up and stand up for the one true God.  Catt skillfully combines scenes from the movie, Bible examples, and real life to illustrate how teens can step up to the plate.  After all, "God has called us to think differently than the world thinks.  But until right stands up and looks like right, then wrong doesn't take it into consideration." 

I  found this book to be a great reminder that we each have a purpose here, and that quite often God calls us outside of our comfort zone to act for Him.  That way we can give Him all the glory.  This would ba a perfect book for individual or small group study, and despite the "teen" title, even younger children can use and apply the teachings in this book.  My preteen daughter is reading it now and with each chapter she gets more excited about how she can be courageous for God.

No comments: