Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hide and Seek Devotional

Description:

Hide God's Word in your heart, and seek Him in your life!  Best-selling author and Grammy-nominated artist, Stephen Elkins, has created an exceptional product that includes everything parents need to get their children excited about spending time with God.

This book contains 52 Bible stories, devotions, verses, prayers, and a link for a free audio download of Scripture memory songs children will love singing along to. Narrated by Kirk Cameron, this full-length album reinforces the Bible verses and helps children commit them to memory.

My Review:

First, let me say that if you already own The Memory Bible: The Sure-Fire Way to Learn 52 Bible Verses that had been published in 2003 you already own this book.  Hide and Seek Devotional contains the same text with updated pictures. The earlier version includes 2 cd's with the same songs that you are able to download for free with this book.

That being said, this is a great resource for parents of young children.  There are two memory verses for each letter of the alphabet.  This makes it easy to use when teaching the alphabet, one story and verse for the capital letter and another for the lowercase letter.  This is especially great for homeschoolers and preschool teachers. 

My 3 year old really enjoyed the stories and was able to relate to the devotions.  Her favorite part was listening to the music.  The songs are more than just songs.  Kirk Cameron reads the Bible story from the book, tells children where they can find the story in the Bible and then the memory song is sung by a group of children.  My little one enjoyed hearing someone other than mom and dad reading and I even caught her following along in the book!  (Great pre-reading practice!)

The updated illustrations are cute, but I am partial to those in the older version myself.  Still, it is really difficult to get a copy of the older version in good shape with the CD's.  This is a great addition to my preschool home library and I plan to get another copy to keep in the preschool classroom at church as well!

No comments: