Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. In addition, many of the books reviewed on this site were received free from the publisher through various book review bloggers programs. I am never required to write a positive review. On ocassion I will review a book that was not provided by the publisher. If that is the case I will note it on that particular post. Otherwise, assume that it was. All opinions I have expressed are always my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Girl's Still Got It

Book Description: 

 Walk with Ruth as she travels from Moab to Bethlehem, certain of her calling, yet uncertain of her future. Hold Naomi’s hand and watch love put the pieces of her broken life back together. And hang out with Boaz, their kinsman-redeemer, who blesses both women and honors God, big time.

With best-selling author Liz Curtis Higgs by your side, you’ll tarry in the corners of their ancient houses, listen to their conversations, and consider every word of every verse until you can say, “I totally get the book of Ruth. And I see what God is trying to teach me through this rags-to-riches redemption story—he has a plan for my life.”

Girl, does he ever!

Think of it as time travel without gimmicks, gizmos, or a DeLorean: a novel approach to Bible study that leaps from past to present, gleaning timeless truths that speak to the heart.




My Review:

I like Ruth, actually it is one of my favorite books of the Bible.  It has hardship, perseverance, romance and a happy ending all centered around God.  What could be better?

I also like the way this book was put together.  Higgs brings us there, using many reputable sources to establish what a day in the life of Ruth and Naomi might have been like.  While she doesn't stray from the scriptural account she does include daily life and gives each person some character (or at least lets them borrow some of hers!).

Higgs leads you through the story with frequent stops to examine what Ruth and Naomi might have been thinking, what they were facing giving the times and culture they lived in and really helps us to understand what they were facing.  But Higgs is a story teller, and that is very evident in this study.

Now don't get me wrong, I like that about this book.  But you do need to be aware that while the information she inserts is always clearly her own interpretation or is backed up and cited by other researchers, there is a lot of inference going on in this study.  So much so that I began to question this being sold as nonfiction at times.

That being said, this is a great study to help us grow, to see God's plan unfold, to help us realize that if God can take this Moabitess and graft her in the to lineage of His Son, what great things can He do in our own lives if we surrender to Him?!

Find out more about Liz Curtis Higgs at her blog here
Order your own copy of this book on Amazon here


edited August 30, 2012
Good news!  Liz Curtis Higgs is planning to do an online study with this book THIS fall!  You can read more about it on her blog here

Please take a moment to rate my review. You can read more about this over there on the right of this page.

No comments: